29 December 2007

Inside Tomatoes

Some plants are determinant, others (like these?) indeterminate. Determinant plants grow to a determined size and indeterminant just keep growing. An estimate of the height of the tall one is 8 feet.






Flowers are a very distinctive shape and a fantastic yellow. Note the tiny tomatoes growing on the vine.

And larger ones too. Although still green, these will (hopefully) ripen on the vine. I'm told vine-ripened tomatoes taste fantastic by comparison to artificially ripened shop kinds.

2 comments:

Leigh Blackall said...

Jee wiz!! that's gigantic! I'm very impressed with that. Puts my outdoor effort to shame.. :) Maybe I better get out there and help them up a bit...

The Wikipedia entry for Biological pest control has some starting points I might look into. Some suggestions for companion planing and the like. Its not a very well written article but has some leads. If I learn a thing or two along the way, I think I'll help out with this Wiki entry...

Andrew said...

Biological pest control of brassica aphids is hard - and this is where the blog started. The 11 spotted ladybird and the parasitic wasp. You can't buy the wasp but you can the ladybird. I've not tried companion planting but I have tried just leaving the infected plants (which did seem to work). Let me know.